In today`s data-driven world, businesses and organizations must ensure they have a clear and comprehensive data use agreement in place to protect both themselves and their customers. A data use agreement outlines how personal data will be collected, stored, analyzed, shared, and used.
To help you create a data use agreement that is compliant with applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards, we have compiled a checklist of essential elements to include:
1. Purpose and scope: Clearly state the purpose and scope of the agreement, including the types of data that will be covered and the intended use(s) of the data.
2. Data collection: Describe how data will be collected, including the methods, sources, and frequency of collection. Also, identify any specific data fields that will be collected.
3. Data storage: Explain how and where the data will be stored, including the security measures in place to protect against unauthorized access or breach.
4. Data analysis: Describe how the data will be analyzed, including any algorithms or models that will be used, as well as the intended outcomes of the analysis.
5. Data sharing: Outline how and with whom the data will be shared, including any third parties, affiliates, or business partners. Specify any restrictions or limitations on sharing.
6. User consent: Clearly explain how user consent will be obtained, including any opt-in or opt-out mechanisms, and how users can revoke their consent.
7. Data retention and deletion: Outline the retention and deletion policies for the data, including how long the data will be kept and when it will be deleted.
8. Compliance with laws and regulations: Ensure that the agreement complies with all applicable laws, regulations, and industry standards, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
9. Data breach notification: Specify the requirements for reporting data breaches, including the timeline and the parties that must be notified.
10. Dispute resolution: Explain how disputes related to the agreement will be resolved, including any arbitration or mediation procedures.
A comprehensive data use agreement is an essential tool for protecting both businesses and consumers in the age of big data. By including the elements listed above, you can ensure that your data use agreement is clear, compliant, and effective.